DEPARTMENT OF ORAL SCIENCES
FACULTY OF DENTISTRY
About Us/Mō mātou
The University of Otago is one of New Zealand’s largest and most research-intensive universities. Founded in 1907, the Faculty of Dentistry is based at the University’s main campus in Dunedin and is the only dental school in New Zealand. It is proud of its international reputation for research, clinical, and academic excellence.
The Department of Oral Sciences (which contains the disciplines of Dental Public Health, Oral Biology, Oral Health Therapy, Oral Microbiology, Orthodontics, Paediatric Dentistry, and Periodontology) undertakes teaching at undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The Department provides patient care in student clinics, and specialist staff provide care for referred patients from throughout Otago and give advice to dental practitioners throughout New Zealand. The Department also hosts the World Health Organization Collaborating Centre for Dental Epidemiology and Public Health.
The role/Te mahi
As a Professional Practice Fellow based within our Department, you will assist with teaching across a range of papers and clinical settings in the professional area of Oral Health Therapy.
Some key tasks include:
• preparation, assessment, teaching and paper administration duties;
• carrying out administration responsibilities for patient records and the Titanium patient databases; and
• contributing to the Department’s academic goals by applying and sharing expert knowledge in Oral Health Therapy.
You will be supported through a collegial academic environment, an active and dynamic research culture, and through efficient professional services across the University. The University is firmly committed to growing the Faculty with investment in a new state-of-the-art building and facilities plus ongoing plans for further outreach development and increased student enrolment.
Skills and Experience/Kā pūkeka me kā wheako
• Registration with the Dental Council (New Zealand) and have a current practising certificate in oral health therapy, dental therapy or dental hygiene.
• Appropriate professional experience in the scopes of oral health therapy, dental therapy or dental hygiene.
• A desire to work with undergraduate Bachelor of Oral Health students.
• Evidence of an ability to work well with students and staff from differing academic and cultural backgrounds and at all levels of the institution.
• A commitment to the principles of the Treaty of Waitangi and to equal opportunity.
This is a permanent, full-time (1.00 FTE) position.
You must have the right to live and work in New Zealand to apply for this position.
The University is committed to meeting its obligations under the Children’s Act 2014. Candidates who successfully make the final stages of the recruitment process will be required to undergo a safety check.
Specific enquiries about this position may be directed to Dr Susan Moffat, Bachelor of Oral Health programme convenor, via the contact details below:
Candidates are requested to submit the following:
• Cover letter
• Names and addresses of at least three referees.
To submit your application please click the apply button below. Applications quoting reference number 2201016 will close on Wednesday, 29 June 2022.
Contact: Susan Moffat Tel: 03 479 7047
Position details: Information Statement
Guidelines for Academic Positions: Guidelines
Further Information: Department Website
Create an email with a link to this vacancy: Create email
Location: About Dunedin
- Oral Health Therapist
- Dental Hygienist
Professional Practice Fellow - Oral Health - Dunedin
DEPARTMENT OF ORAL SCIENCES